(View our office location on the Google Map below)
Author: Admin
GPs want opt-out on abortion to be protected in law
The Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission (IHREC) has asked Simon Harris, the health minister, to establish an early registration system for doctors who conscientiously object to abortion. It also wants Harris to broaden the category of care-providers to which objecting doctors can refer pregnant women and girls.
Following the referendum in May, some doctors who were opposed to removing the constitutional ban on abortion said they wanted to be protected from prosecution if they refused to refer women to GPs willing to perform terminations.
The IHREC has made a submission on the Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Bill 2018 which Harris is to introduce in the Dail this week. The bill states there is no obligation for “a medical practitioner, nurse or midwife [to] carry out, or to participate in carrying out, a termination of pregnancy” but those with conscientious objections must make “arrangements for the transfer of care of the pregnant woman concerned”.
The commission wants Harris to provide for referral to other professionals, not just doctors, and to underpin legislation with regulatory guidelines “for expeditious transfer of care”.
Its submission refers to a recent collective complaint [about access to abortion] against Italy, where many medical practitioners were exercising the right to conscientiously object to carrying out the termination of pregnancies, made to the Council of Europe committee on social rights.
The committee ruled that abortion services must be organised to ensure patients’ needs are met, particularly for time-sensitive procedures such as abortion.
The IHREC says “provision for advance declaration and registration of conscientious objection by medical practitioners may assist medical institutions to effectively plan for, and accommodate, conscientious objection and identify gaps in effective access to services”.
Emily Logan, the chief commissioner of IHREC, said: “The right to conscientious objection needs to be effectively balanced with women’s and girls’ rights to legal medical care, and that access to a termination of pregnancy should not be determined by what part of the country you live in.”
Peter Fitzpatrick, a Fine Gael TD for Louth, is expected to vote against the bill. He would not comment on his voting intentions last week but confirmed he would be making an announcement about his political future on Tuesday, when he is expected to redesignate himself as an independent TD.
He is likely to be asked by independent TDs Mattie McGrath and Michael Collins to join their planned new “pro-life, pro-rural Ireland” party, but sources close to the TD said he would not be interested.
The former Louth football manager did not allow his name to go before Fine Gael’s selection convention last week. Sitting TD Fergus O’Dowd and councillor John McGahon were chosen as the party’s candidates for the next general election.
Author: NIALL CARSON
Source: THE TIMES
Concerns over jail threat to doctors
A medical law expert and a patient safety advocate have both urged a rethink of provisions in the Patient Safety Bill that would criminalise medical practitioners for failure to disclose information in relation to serious mistakes.
Simon Mills, a barrister and former doctor, and Bernie O’Reilly of the Patients for Patient Safety initiative — who lost her husband to medical misadventure — said the aim should be to foster a culture of willing open disclosure instead of threatening medics with jail.
Mr Mills said the open disclosure provisions of the Civil Liability Amendment Act 2017, which come into effect today, should be given time to bed in. Instead there was a “rush to criminalise”.
The 2017 Act was designed to encourage open disclosure by enabling an apology to be made without it invalidating a practitioner’s insurance or being taken as an admission of liability in court.
It was also intended to give the medical regulatory bodies stronger grounds on which to commence fitness to practice proceedings and/or sanction a practitioner.
The proposed Patient Safety Bill goes a step further by making open disclosure a legal duty under threat of criminal prosecution, fines of up to €7,000 and/or six months in prison.
Mr Mills said there may be an argument for institutions to be made criminally liable but targetting individuals was a rushed response to the CervicalCheck scandal.
“Politicians need to be seen to do something,” he said.
“We have two parallel systems in train. One is creating space for open disclosure to take place and the other is, without waiting to see whether that fixes the problem, raising the idea of criminalising individuals or systems and it seems to me for the two of those to be proceeding in parallel rather than sequentially may well turn out to be a mistake.”
Ms O’Reilly spent years trying to get the truth behind her husband Tony’s death after bowel surgery in 2006 and still has unanswered questions which she said might have been answered if there had been automatic preservation of all materials relating to his case and timely disclosure of the events that went wrong.
However, she added: “I don’t think anybody should be criminalised. I think when something awful like that happens, you should learn from it and involve the family in that learning.”
Mr Mills and Ms O’Reilly were addressing a conference hosted by the State Claims Agency which heard the agency was currently handling 3,342 medical negligence claims and 7,579 general personal injury claims with a total estimated liability of €3.2bn, of which the medical negligence claims made up €2.32bn.
Former doctor Adam Kay, now comedian and author of This Is Going To Hurt, his diaries from his time as a physician, said health services also needed to review the way they treated staff involved in serious incidents.
Mr Kay said it was not until he was published that those close to him realised he had left the profession in devastation over a tragic case which he only attended when it had already become an emergency but which still had a profound effect on him.
“I didn’t tell anyone,” he said. “There’s a stiff upper lip approach.”
He said he asked if he could work part-time for a while but the response was akin to: “Why? “Are you pregnant?”
“We don’t like to think of our doctors as human because when someone is looking at an MRI of your brain, you want them to be God or Google or something equally infallible,” said Mr Kay.
“Medical schools are not honest about what the job is. If you are going to be a train driver, they will do a psychological test on you.
“If you’re going on Big Brother they will check you’re not going to crack. But if you want to be a doctor all they will check is whether you have enough As in your grade.”
Author: Caroline O’Doherty
Source: The Irish Examiner
Abortion laws ‘must not leave doctors in fear of prosecution’
The government has been urged to improve its draft legislation on abortion to stop doctors interpreting the new laws too conservatively.
A position paper by experts from Dublin City University, the University of Birmingham and Queen Mary University of London said that the government should consider asking doctors who have a conscientious objection to providing abortion care to declare it before the law comes into effect. Clinical guidelines that are due to be introduced alongside the legislation should clarify when and how a doctor who holds a conscientious objection should disclose it, it says.
“Hospitals and general practitioners should be required to publish information making patients aware of the fact that personnel hold a conscientious objection, for example, on websites, in practice leaflets and on posters in public areas,” the paper says.
The Times revealed last month that a new “code of ethics” drafted by the Irish Catholic Bishops suggested that Catholic hospitals could break the law and refuse to offer abortions in all circumstances.
“Clinical guidelines should address the intersection of the general scheme with Catholic medical ethics, to ensure equality of abortion access for all pregnant people. Additional research, or public hearings, may be required to identify likely areas of conflict,” the paper says.
The state should take steps to ensure all pregnant women can access the care they need equitably in the event that a mass conscientious objection makes abortion inaccessible in a particular area or hospital, they say.
The experts found that women in Ireland could still be denied abortions because doctors fear lengthy jail terms or refuse to terminate pregnancies because they object on principle. The authors say that the proposed bill does not make a strong enough break with abortion being a crime that carries the risk of up to 14 years’ imprisonment.
“It remains a serious offence for a doctor to carry out an abortion and much of the draft legislation’s language frames abortion in criminal terms, suggesting that termination remains an unusual and stigmatised procedure under Irish law,” said Máiréad Enright, a co-author from the University of Birmingham. “Residual criminalisation may see some doctors interpret the law more conservatively than the Oireachtas intends, for fear of prosecution. It also raises the prospect of ‘stings’ by anti-abortion activists, which may make service providers feel vulnerable to prosecution.”
The paper was co-written by Ms Enright, Professor Fiona de Londras, of the University of Birmingham, Dr Ruth Fletcher of Queen Mary and Dr Vicky Conway of Dublin City University.
The authors also say that exclusion zones are needed to protect healthcare providers and pregnant women from protest or interference with services.
The legislation proposes a three-day waiting period between a woman being granted access to an abortion pill and being prescribed it. The authors say that this should be removed. “Waiting periods do not necessarily function as periods for reflection, but exacerbate stress in abortion decision-making,” they say.
More than 66 per cent of voters backed repeal of the Eighth Amendment in the referendum in May.
Author: Jennifer Bray, Ireland Deputy Political Editor
Source: The Times
Call centre worker sexually harassed by boss awarded €45,000

credit: Shutterstock/Africa Studio
CALL CENTRE WORKER SEXUALLY HARASSED BY BOSS AWARDED €45,000
A FEMALE CALL centre worker here has been awarded €45,000 after being subject to ongoing and sustained sexual harassment by her boss over five months.
The woman felt that she had no choice but to resign from her post in January 2017 due to the sexual harassment and her employer’s failure to deal with her team leader’s sexual harassment.
Documenting the “shocking sexual harassment” between August 2016 and January 2017, the woman told the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) that she suffered a recurrent jaw dislocation injury resulting in her team lead, Mr A, making comments of a sexually suggestive nature.
The Technical Support Agent said that Mr A told her “I wonder how that happened”, “I know what happened” and was laughing and joking about her injury and she told the WRC that her boss’s comments were suggestive that her injury “had been caused as a result of her having been sexually promiscuous”.
On another occasion, Mr A told her she had “amazing eyes” when she asked him a work-related question. The woman continued to ask the question and Mr A said “I’m sorry I’m not even listening to you, I just can’t stop looking at your eyes”.
The following day, Mr A told the woman that she could go and sit in his car with him. She declined and he Mr A approached her on a number of occasions and asked her if she wanted to go outside with him.
Lunch
On 1 October 2016, the woman was having her lunch on a bench outside and Mr A sat down beside her. The woman got up and left for the canteen and sat a table there and was followed by Mr A who sat at the same table.
On another date, the woman claimed that she was subject to physical sexual harassment where Mr A twice placed both of his hands on her waist in the workplace.
On another occasion when Mr A learned that the woman didn’t have a boyfriend, he started winking at her and said he couldn’t wait for the staff party.
On 9 October 2016, Mr A saw the woman’s payslip containing her home address and said to her “Is there where you live?”
A work colleague had witnessed Mr A picking on the woman and placing a banana on her head and making lewd and inappropriate jokes about her tattoo.
Complaint
The woman made a formal complaint against Mr A with her bosses and an investigation carried out by a female business partner.
The allegations were put to Mr A and he stated that he could not recall the incidents and that while in hindsight, they might look bad, they were only a “joke”.
The investigation upheld five complaints; was unable to substantiate two of the complaints and overturned one.
The WRC report states that the employer employs a significant number of employees across four locations in Ireland, providing “tailored solutions to businesses”.
The woman worked at the call centre at weekends and was studying on a full-time basis at a local third-level institution.
The woman’s roles and responsibilities included taking calls from customers regarding mobile phone bills and technical queries from customers regarding their mobile phones.
Findings
In his ruling, WRC Adjudication Officer, Enda Murphy said that he found the complainant “to be very credible in relation to the alleged treatment which she claims occurred on the material dates in question”.
Mr Murphy said that he was satisfied “that a number of these incidents of harassment and sexual harassment were extremely serious in nature in terms of the impact and effect they had on her personally and her working environment”.
He said: “It is clear that these incidents of inappropriate, offensive and unwelcome behaviour had the effect of violating the Complainant’s dignity and subjecting her to a hostile and intimidating workplace.”
Mr Murphy also found that the employer “failed to deal with the Complainant’s complaints of harassment and sexual harassment in an appropriate manner or to put appropriate measures in place either during or following the investigation to address or remedy this treatment”.
Mr Murphy was also critical of the employer’s failure to take any disciplinary action whatsoever against Mr. A in the immediate aftermath of the investigation notwithstanding the fact that five of the allegations of harassment and sexual harassment had been upheld.
Mr Murphy also found it inexplicable that the employer failed to put even the most basic of measures in place in order to separate the Complainant and Mr. A in the workplace following the conclusion of the investigation.
Mr Murphy also hit out at the employer’s decision to reprimand the woman for “unacceptably high level of absence” while she was victim of sexual harassment.
Mr Murphy said: “I find that this course of action was totally unwarranted and unjustified especially in circumstances where it should have been manifestly clear to the employer that six of the eight days on which she was absent occurred during the period within which she was being subjected to the harassment and sexual harassment by Mr A.”
Mr Murphy said that he found the employer’s conduct amounted to an undermining of the relationship of trust and confidence between the parties, was unreasonable in the circumstances and entitled the Complainant to claim that she was constructively dismissed.
Mr Murphy also found that Mr A manufactured a false Facebook message from the woman where she threatened to get him fired “and that it was used in an intimidatory manner by him to try and discredit the complainant following the conclusion of the investigation”.
In his ruling, Mr Murphy has ordered that the employer pay the woman €35,000 “for the distress suffered by the complainant and the effects of the discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment and discriminatory constructive dismissal on her”.
Mr Murphy also ordered the employer to pay an additional €10,000 for the distress suffered by the complainant and the effects of the victimisation on her.
Mr Murphy also ordered that all staff within the company who have staff management functions receive appropriate training in its Dignity and Respect at Work Policy and that this training is kept under review in light of development and best practice in the area.
Author: Gordon Deegan
Source: Journal.ie
